Air quality have you feeling a little foggy?
Get clarity from our frequently asked HVAC questions.
Can I update an older home with smart home technology?
Absolutely! Most of the devices only require a wi-fi connection. If you have that, you should be fine!
Does my whole house have to be smart?
No, it’s not necessary to make your whole home a smart home. Some people would rather have only a few items in their home, and others may want to install everything they find! It really depends on what you want.
What are the benefits of home automation?
- Control: Having control of your home’s settings, even when you are not home, helps give you peace of mind.
- Safety: There are many home automation devices that work in parallel with home security devices. Some devices have cameras and/or audio recording capabilities that can send you notifications remotely from the smart device.
- Convenience: The primary reason for home automation is to create convenience for the user. For example, if you forget to turn the AC down a few degrees while out of the house, you can do it while you’re away, instead of just thinking about it.
- Comfort: Some people love having home automation for no other reason than they can adjust settings in the comfort of their home. Want to adjust your lighting? You can do it without getting off your couch through your phone.
- Peace of mind: Parents can feel secure when their children are playing in another room thanks to the cameras and other technologies that come standard with most home automation systems.
When is the best time to install home automation?
The ideal time to install home automation is when building a new or renovating an existing home. If you are considering an extensive technological renovation of your home, it would be better to get it done when the house is being developed because there will be heavy wiring work.
With entry-level home automation solutions, rewiring isn’t required. In these cases, you can buy devices that are compatible with the existing setup. If you select this option, you can always add on in the future if you desire more for your home automation.
How can I save energy with a smart home?
With a smart home, you have more control over the fundamental energy users in your home. For example, with most smart homes you have features that give you the ability to see the energy consumption in the day, week, or month. As a result, you could potentially change the way you spend money on energy in your home.
Benefits of Smart Thermostats
Technology and convenience have become essential features, and home comfort is no different. There are a variety of smart thermostats that have varying features and functions, but they all provide advanced technology that makes it simpler to heat or cool your house. They give you the ability to manage your home comfort and also have the capabilities to start learning your family’s lifestyle and needs. There are a lot of different models you can install, including the Nest learning thermostat, that use this innovative smart home technology. Many smart thermostats even allow you to use voice commands.
Using a smart thermostat can also help you stay on top of heating and cooling needs for different spaces in your residence. You can mount room sensors or temperature sensors, such as the Nest temperature sensor, in different areas throughout your house. Then you can indicate your desired temperature for that area.
Additionally, other smart thermostat benefits include:
- Remote access: Whether you’re at work or on vacation, you can use your phone, tablet, or computer to raise or lower the temperature and keep an eye on your system. It makes it simple to ensure your house is the ideal temperature before you return.
- Energy savings: You don’t need to spend money heating and cooling your house when no one is there. The majority of smart thermostats know when you’re at home and can change the temperature to fit.
- Learning capabilities: Most smart thermostats can learn from your agenda by watching your daily activities.
- Customized data: Conserve energy while keeping your residence comfortable. Smart thermostats determine the best way to do this, while using the smallest amount of energy.
- Environmentally friendly: Reducing energy use does more than support your heating and cooling expenses. It’s also a smart way to help the environment by reducing emissions.
Is a Smart Thermostat Better than a Programmable Thermostat?
Programmable thermostats rely on a schedule to maintain temperatures in your home. Some allow you to use one schedule during the week and a differing one on the weekend.
Smart thermostats take this benefit up a notch. They provide better flexibility, convenience, and technology to achieve your home comfort desires. From learning your behaviors without assistance to having a voice assistant to adjust your home’s heating and cooling needs, smart thermostats bring a new method to manage your home comfort.